December 10, 2012

PW's Salisbury Steak


This has got to be one of my favorite meals.  I've made another Salisbury Steak recipe here and I thought I'd never find another one as good.  I was mistaken.  This one is as good and possibly even better.  I'm not sure, I might have to try them side by side one time just to get a good comparison.  What I like about this recipe is that I don't have to have any dry soup mix on hand.  So I'm more likely to make this one on a whim then the other one.
My husband thinks he likes this one slightly more also. I think my daughter also gave this a try and actually chewed and swallowed it (baby steps).
If you're looking for a nice warm meal to get you all cozy then this is it.  Don't forget the mashed potatoes!

Recipe from The Pioneer Woman

Meat

  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 cube beef bouillon, crushed (or granules)
  • 4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Ketchup
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 Tbsp oil (for the pan, for frying)
  • 1 Tbsp butter (for the pan, for frying)
Gravy

  • 1 whole onion, halved and sliced thinly (half moon) or diced. 
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Ketchup
  • 1 tsp corn starch mixed with a little beef broth to form a paste
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Instructions

  1. Mix all of the meat ingredients together (minus the oil and butter) and make sure the ingredients are well distributed.  Form the hamburger into even sized portions of either 4 or 6 patties. 
  2. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and add the meat, cook at about medium high heat. 
  3. Cook until the meat is no longer pink inside and then remove to a plate.  Discard any grease leftover in the pan. 
  4. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion.  Let the onion cook until golden brown and slightly softened. 
  5. Add the beef broth, Worcestershire and Ketchup. Stir and heat to reduce. 
  6. Add the cornstarch mixture and let thicken, then add the burger patties back into the pan to heat through.  Pour some of the sauce over the top of the patties and serve when hot. 

No comments: