December 17, 2012

Hockey Pucks


Recently a couple of friends and I had a baking day to get ready for Christmas.  In doing so I think we all collectively kept sugar companies in the green for the year.  This is the second year we've done this and we usually make one or two items, and then share a little of what ever we made with everyone else.  Basically we come home with a large assortment of baked and candied goodness.

I think that we each try to do one thing baked in the oven and one thing that does not require any oven time just so everyone else has a chance to use the oven.  In my preparation for this day I scanned all of my old cookbooks that I got from the town I'm from.  I picked this recipe from one called "Breaking Bread" from St. Mary's, St. Margaret's, and St. William's.  My gramma and aunt and other family members, along with many neighbors I've known my whole life have recipes in this book.  It's one of my favorites.  It makes me homesick too.

When I was making these candies I was thinking that all of the ingredients seems yummy but I wasn't sure how they'd all be together in one bite.  I was actually most hesitant about coating the Ritz cracker with chocolate....I have no idea why since I've coated saltine crackers with chocolate and they are delicious.  Much to my relief, these little things are wonderful.  The Ritz cracker adds the salt that we all love with the chocolate.  The peanut butter marshmallow cream inside is perfect.  It's not so strong that all you're tasting is peanut butter but it's perfect paired with the crunchy salty cracker and chocolate.

This would be a great treat that your kids can help you make.

Hockey Pucks
Recipe from Gertrude O'Connor from the "Breaking Bread" cookbook 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 7 oz marshmallow cream
  • 1 box (4 rolls) Ritz crackers
  • 1 1/2 package chocolate flavored bark
  • 1 package milk chocolate chip's
  • 1/2 block gulf wax or 1/3 cup shortening (optional)
Directions
  1. Mix the peanut butter and marshmallow cream together in a medium bowl.  You can microwave briefly (30 seconds) if you need to soften up the mixture enough to combine. 
  2. Spread the peanut butter mixture between two crackers and sandwich together.  Freeze for about 30 minutes.  (I didn't freeze mine and they were OK, I think the chocolate shell will be more firm if you freeze the crackers first).
  3. In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine the two chocolates and the gulf wax or shortening if you are using it.  Melt in 1 minute increments until smooth and lump free. 
  4. Dip the frozen sandwiched crackers into the chocolate mixture, use a fork to pull the cracker out of the chocolate and scrape off the bottom with another utensil so you have less chocolate dripping off the cracker.  Place the dipped cracker sandwich onto wax paper until the chocolate has set and is no longer soft to the touch. 

No comments: