December 14, 2012

Panettone



I've discovered recently that finding Panettone in stores is getting harder and harder.  I bought some that I loved at Trader Joe's and then when I went back they were sold out.  I was heart broken because it was really good.  What's a girl to do right? Make your own that's what!  

This was my first attempt at making this type of bread and I thought it turned out really nice and flavorful.  I wish I had of gotten the fruit worked throughout the bread more then I did but it was still yummy.  

From what I've read, it's pretty difficult to make "authentic" Panettone.  I've read things stating that some of them are baked upside-down to more reasonable things like the flour has to be warm and you need a special paper that will allow the bread to rise very tall like the store bought versions, not to mention the amount of time it takes to mix it in order to get the proper distribution of the fruit.  

Basically I'm trying to say that this bread that I made here is much easier then all that.  It's not exactly the same as the store bought kind but it's good and it's available in your very own kitchen. 


I used candied orange peel because I'm a rebel like that.


This is active yeast, it's all foamy and stuff.


This is a dough ball, no fruit has been added yet. This is before the first rise cycle.


After the first rise cycle, before the fruit is added.


After the fruit is added, before the second rise cycle.


Ready to bake, see the fruit in there?


Right out of the oven.  Looks good, smells amazing.  It has a citrus smell because of the fruit and zest added.

This is a moist cake that is light and airy and full of bites of fruit.  I've heard of some people making a baked french toast out of this and I'm dying to try it.

Panettone
Recipe modified from AllRecipes.com


Ingredients
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup water, warm (110 degree's F)
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt or plain yogurt. 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp grated orange zest
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
  • 1/4 cup candied orange peel
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
  • 1 Tbsp melted butter (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. In a small bowl combine the water, yeast and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes or until foamy.
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer add the eggs, vanilla, yogurt and salt. mix well. Pour in the yeast mixture.
  3. Slowly add the flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough forms into a manageable ball. Dump the dough onto a well floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes. Keep adding flour to keep it from getting sticky. You might need to add up to 1 more cup of flour.
  4. Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray and then form the dough into a ball. Place the dough into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour until doubled in size.
  5. Use a small bowl to combine the raisins and candied orange peel and mix in 1 Tbsp of confectioners' sugar. Make sure they are well covered.
  6. When the dough has doubled in size, dump onto a well floured surface and knead in the raisins and candied orange peel. Form the dough into a ball.
  7. Spray a 8 inch (I used a 9 inch) round cake pan with non-stick spray and put the dough ball into it. Cover with a clean towel and let rise for another 30 minutes. The dough will rise over the edges of the pan.
  8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  9. Brush the dough with melted butter if desired and bake for 45 minutes. The dough should look golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.

No comments: