May 17, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Lemonade


For my daughter's birthday party everything was strawberry themed.  Even the drinks.  I knew for sure that strawberry lemonade was going to be served, I just had to find a recipe.  In case some of you are new to this blog, if I can make it from scratch I probably will, so I didn't want a recipe that included any kind of canned or bottled anything.  When I found this recipe on Pinterest I knew it was the right one for the job. 



I had a truckload of strawberries at my disposal so measuring out 1 1/4 pounds of strawberries was not a problem.


For this recipe, you're going to want to get the organic lemons.  You have to puree them skin and all.


Pour the mixture through a mesh sieve to get out all that pulp.


Pour the remaining water through this pulp mixture so that you're getting all that flavor.


All in all it was a very simple recipe to make as long as you've got a blender or food processor handy.

You can really taste the strawberries and the lemons, I would say that the ratio is perfect and you can sweeten as much or as little as you like.  I used honey and it was awesome.  It's sort of a thicker type drink - not smoothie thick but more like pulpy orange juice thick.  Garnish with some fresh lemon and strawberry slices and you've got a showstopper drink.  Perfect time of year to serve this one since strawberries are at their peak (well at least in the South they are).


Fresh Strawberry Lemonade
Recipe from laylita.com


Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 pound fresh strawberries, washed and halved
  • 2 whole lemons, washed and quartered
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup honey or sugar, to taste
  • 6 cups water
  • ice
Cooking Directions
  1. In the blender, add the quartered lemons (rind included, use organic if possible), the strawberries, 2 cups of water and honey (or sugar).
  2. Strain the mixture over a bowl or pitcher along with the other 4 cups of water.
  3. Add additional sugar if desired.
  4. Garnish with ice, lemon and strawberry slices if desired.

No comments: