May 27, 2013

Sour Cream Banana Bread




You know how when you're looking for recipes on the internet you find a bunch that are marked "this is the best recipe out there" and so you try it because obviously if it's on the internet it must be true? Well that happens to me all the time. 

Except...

This time....

It was true!

I'm totally in love with this recipe.  I say that gingerly because I don't consider myself a banana bread connoisseur, it's always just something I make when my banana's are going to go bad and I'm desperate to use them up.  I've still managed to try several banana bread recipes and they've always been about the same for me.  Good, but nothing too exciting.  


Here are the reasons I love this recipe.


  • Very moist, and it stays that way even after several days. 
  • Freezes very well. 
  • I love the idea of coating the pans with cinnamon sugar, it gives a nice crunch around the edges. 
  • The banana flavor is awesome but the sour cream really adds something. 
  • My favorite part of the bread is the texture, moist, dense, absolutely perfect. 
  • It makes three full sized loaves or four smaller loaves, check the link below for the smaller sized loaf instructions. 

Don't begin to think that just because this is banana bread that this is a healthy recipe.  it's not. 218 calories per slice, but so worth it.

Sour Cream Banana Bread
Recipe from allrecipes.com


Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 6 very ripe banana's, mashed
  • 1 (16 oz) container sour cream
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp baking soda
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325º
  2. Spray three 8.5x4 with non-stick spray, then coat each with the 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon that has been combined in a smaller dish. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the sugar and butter and beat until it resembles a wet sand. Add the eggs, bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon and mix until combined and smooth.
  4. Add the salt, baking soda and flour and mix until well combined. Add the walnuts if desired.
  5. Fill each loaf pan with 1/3 of the mixture and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: