August 3, 2012

Black and White Peanut Butter Brownies



What do make when you're asked to make a dessert but you know that one person who will be eating that dessert doesn't like chocolate?

Let's get sidetracked for a moment.  Doesn't like chocolate? Really? I can't even relate. I know a couple of people who don't like cheese and I honestly don't even know what to do with that.

Anyway, back on track.  I usually make a lot of lemon flavored desserts when I know she'll be there but this time I decided to take a risk and make a dessert that just had little pieces of chocolate in it.  I figured she could pick them out if nothing else.



Are you wondering what the non-chocolate lover said about these brownies? She loved them. :) She said she likes chocolate in small doses so this was perfect.  Yay!

The peanut butter and chocolate combination is a favorite of course and I loved how chewy and flavorful these brownies are.  I'm really glad I made them to bring to someone else's house so I wasn't tempted to eat them all myself. I will make sure I have white chocolate on hand in case I have the urge to make these again soon, which I think I will.


Black and White Peanut Butter Brownies
Found at Tracey's Culinary Adventures

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 cups (5 1/4 oz) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 inch pan with tin foil so you can easily lift the brownies out of the pan after they are baked.  Spray the tin foil with non-stick spray. 


In a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt the butter.  When the butter is melted, remove the bowl from the pan and dump in the finely chopped white chocolate.  Whisk the white chocolate in with the butter until smooth, do not put the bowl back on top of the saucepan with the hot water or your chocolate will separate from the butter.  When the mixture is smooth, add the sugar, vanilla extract and salt.  Let cool to room temperature.  


Add both eggs and the peanut butter to the room temperature white chocolate/peanut butter mixture and mix until smooth. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well.  Use a spatula to mix in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. 


Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and use your spatula to make the top nice and even.  Sprinkle on the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. 


Bake for about 25 minutes.  The edges will be golden brown and the sides will start to pull away from the pan a little.  Move to a cooling rack and let sit until cool.  When cool, lift the sides of the tin foil and remove the brownies from the pan.  Cut and serve. 

No comments: