August 27, 2012

Zucchini Casserole


OK I can officially say that I feel Fall in the air now.  I was able to leave my windows open until 2 pm yesterday before shutting them all and turning on the A/C.  This makes me very happy.  Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year.

I can't wait for apples to be ready to pick and to come up with some new ideas and recipes for those.  If you have any good ones let me know.

Now on to this zucchini casserole that has been in the Jennings family for who knows how long.  I can tell you this much.  When I was given the recipe to copy down it still had some of the "old time" measurements.  For instance, did you know that Campbell's soup used to come in a larger can? Did you know that Stove Top stuffing came in a different sized box also?  I had no idea but when I mentioned it to my dad he knew all about it.  Go figure.

Anyway, this recipe is awesome.  I can see why it's a family favorite.

Thank you for the recipe Lenny!

Zucchini Casserole

Ingredients

  • 6 cups zucchini or summer squash, diced
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup margarine, melted
  • 1 package (6 oz) herb flavored stuffing mix

Cooking Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Boil the squash and onion until tender and drain.
  3. Add the soup cream and cream of chicken soup to the squash and onion and mix well.
  4. Mix the melted margarine with the bread crumbs.
  5. To assemble layer 1/2 the squash and 1/2 the stuffing mix in an 9x13 inch dish. Repeat with the second layer. If you started your assembly with the squash, make sure to hold some of the bread crumbs for the topping before baking.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bread crumbs begin to get golden and crispy.
  7. You can add chicken if you'd like. Use 1 cup of chopped cooked chicken meat and mix it in when you add the soup and sour cream.

No comments: