August 1, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers



Low carb is the theme in this house lately.  I found a great blog that has a bunch of low carb recipes and I'm loving it.  Great ideas!  It's hard for me to eat the same things over and over so variety is exactly what I need. I'm not doing the low carb thing as hard as my husband is but I'm trying to be better about my carb intake.  

The fact that I don't consider cake and brownies a carb might be a problem. Just kidding, sort of. 

Anyway, I can't do ALL carb free in this house since my little girl will pretty much ONLY eat pasta of some kind.  We're working on her too. 



Saute some mushrooms and onions.


Cut the tops of the bell peppers and take out the seeds and membranes.  Chop the steak into bite sized pieces.


When the mushrooms and onions have caramelized add the meat and cook until warmed through.


Line the bell peppers with a piece of provolone cheese.


Fill each pepper with the meat mixture.


Top each pepper with another piece of provolone cheese.


Bake until the cheese is nicely melted and golden brown.


My husband and I really enjoyed these stuffed peppers.  Next time I might add some cheese to the meat mixture as well so it's gooier.  I'm all about gooey.  I'll be adding these peppers to my dinner rotation.

Wait, I don't have a dinner rotation.

Whatever.

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
Recipe modified only in serving size peaceloveandlowcarb

2 orange bell peppers
1/2 small onion
1 medium to small clove of garlic, minced
4 porcine mushrooms, sliced (you could use button mushrooms too).
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil.

Begin by melting the butter and olive oil together in a large frying pan.  Add the onion and mushrooms and cook on low until caramelized.

Add the chopped meat and cook until warm.  While that is warming, cut the bell peppers.  I cut the tops off mine but the original recipe says to cut in half length wise.  I'm sure it doesn't matter how you cut it. Remove the seeds and membranes.

Put a slice of Provolone cheese in each pepper.  Fill the pepper with the meat mixture and then top the peppers with another slice of provolone.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.

No comments: