August 22, 2012

Tuscan-Style Cauliflower




I'm not gonna lie.  Cauliflower in this house usually just goes bad in my refrigerator.  I happen to love it raw but my husband isn't a fan of it in any form.  He is however part Italian so I decided to appeal to his heritage and try this recipe.  

We were both pleasantly surprised with this one. The tomato adds enough flavor that you don't feel like you're eating a big plate of cauliflower, even though that's exactly what you're doing. I topped ours with Parmesan cheese which added another element of flavor that we really enjoyed. 


This dish is very easy to prepare.  Chop the cauliflower head in advance.


Start with the garlic, add the tomatoes and then the cauliflower.


Let the mixture simmer for a while and presto, a healthy side dish.  I'm not going to say that I've reformed my husband into loving cauliflower but he eats this with no complaints so I count it as a victory!

Thanks Mario Batali!

Tuscan-Style Cauliflower
Everyday with Rachel Ray, September 2007, page 127 

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 pounds tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped, or 4 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped.
1 head cauliflower, broken into 1-inch florets
1/2 cup boiling water
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the crushed garlic and cook until soft and golden and then add the tomatoes.  Cook until they break down.

Stir in the cauliflower and boiling water and cook for about 30 minutes.

Add the salt and pepper to taste and the parsley.


No comments: