August 8, 2012

Mixed Bean Soup



I know that this is a strange time to be posting about homemade soup, I mean it is like 100 degrees outside.  I don't have a very good reason other than I had a bag of mixed dried beans that I wanted to use.  I did a quick Internet search and found this soup idea that I ended up modifying slightly.

My husband actually really liked this and I did as well.  I'm a big fan of beans but he doesn't always like them especially in soup.  We had this soup devoured in no time.

Even if you don't want to break out this soup recipe until fall, definitely keep it in the back of your mind for when the weather cools down. There's nothing like homemade soup in my opinion.  Not only is it delish but you can also feel good about knowing whats in it and watching people enjoy it.



I actually looked forward to eating the leftovers which for me means it was a success.  :)

Mixed Bean Soup
Modified slightly from TasteofHome

1 - 12 ounce package mixed dried beans
4 - 5 cups water (depending on how much liquid you like).
1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and crumbled.
1 can tomatoes - diced, undrained
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
pepper to taste

Soak beans overnight and then drain.  Place the beans in a 5 quart crock pot and cover with water.  Cook on high for an hour until beans are cooked.  Drain and put the beans back in the crock pot.  Add 4 cups of water and all of the other ingredients.  Cook on low for 4 hours.



No comments: