August 29, 2012

Mocha Ice Cream



I love how cool those people look when they walk around with their Starbucks cups.  I wish I were one of them.  Sometimes I go to Starbucks and get a coffee free frozen drink or a hot cocoa and I cherish the opportunity I have to strut myself around with a coffee cup. 

I wish I liked coffee. 

Here's the funny thing about me and coffee.  On the rare occasions that I have drunk coffee my personality changes and I turn into a real cranky pants.  Yes, cranky pants is the nicest way I could think to put the personality I am transformed into with coffee.  I don't know why.  It's weird. It's a caffeine thing I guess. 

Here's another funny thing.  I love the way coffee smells.  I love having my Hazelnut scented wax melting in my house.  It makes me happy. 

OK, there's the last funny thing.  I love slightly coffee flavored ice cream.  Like this Mocha ice cream.  I love everything about it.  It's a good thing too because this recipe makes a lot of ice cream! Not sure if you know this or not but coffee does tend to bring out chocolate flavors even more.  Often times you'll see brownie recipes with some coffee added.  Usually you can't really taste the coffee but you can in this ice cream.  It's not a strong flavor but it mixes perfectly with the chocolate flavors.  I love it! My husband loves it! My daughter loves it! Winner!



 Enjoy!

Mocha Ice Cream
Recipe from Taste of Home


Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
  • dash salt
  • 3 cups milk
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 3 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 4 cups half and half
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour, coffee and salt. Add the milk and eggs gradually and stir until smooth.
  2. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Mixture should be about 160 degrees and should take about 15 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled.
  3. Stir in the remaining ingredients. 
  4. Fill your ice cream maker 3/4 full and freeze according to the manufacturers instructions. Refrigerate any remaining mixture until you're ready to freeze.
  5. Freeze until 10 minutes before you're ready to serve.

No comments: