January 13, 2014

Hashbrown, Bacon, Mushroom and Cheese Breakfast Bake



I know I may get some haters for what I'm about to say, but I can feel spring in the air here in the South.  I know a lot of you are still buried in snow but we've had two nice days of weather and it's got us all thinking about spring.

I learned from some neighbors just a couple of days ago that there is an old saying in the South.  10 days after a thunderstorm there will be snow.  Guess what we had Saturday?  Right, a thunderstorm.  So just to see if this old wives tale is accurate I put the date on my calendar and if it's correct, we'll have snow on the 20th.  Fun experiment and I'm actually hoping we DO get snow.  Those are my Montana roots coming through.

Before I break out the sunscreen and umbrella straws I have to show you my new (sort of) obsession.  Breakfast bakes.  You can literally add anything you want so I've been experimenting so see what my family likes best.  Really it's just my husband and I since my daughter refuses to eat eggs.  This latest version is one of my husbands favorites.  He loves it because it's full of bacon, I love it because it's pretty easy and very tasty.

I'm pretty sure you have the items you need in your refrigerator or pantry right now to make your very own breakfast bake.  The only essential ingredient is eggs, a dozen would be best but I made this one with only 8 so it's doable.

Hashbrown, Bacon, Mushroom and Cheese Breakfast Bake
From Alissamay's kitchen


Ingredients
  • 6 small yukon gold potatoes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 lb bacon, chopped
  • 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms (baby bella or button) sliced
  • 8 oz sharp cheddar, grated
  • 8-12 whole eggs, beaten
  • splash milk or half & half
  • salt and pepper to taste (or seasoned salt)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Grate the potatoes' (skin and all) into the bottom of a 9x13 inch dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Spread the potatoes out in an even layer. 
  3. In a medium frying pan fry the bacon pieces until they are crisp, then remove to a paper towel lined dish.  Discard the oil from the pan but do not wash the pan. 
  4. Add the onions and mushroom and cook until they are beginning to get tender, remove to a separate dish. 
  5. Spread the bacon over the hashbrowns and then add the onion mushroom mixture.  
  6. Add the grated cheddar on top. 
  7. In a bowl crack all the eggs and add a splash of milk or half & half and whisk together.  Add the salt and pepper and whisk again. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the other ingredients. 
  8. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the eggs are puffy and beginning to pull away from the sides of the dish. 

No comments: