January 15, 2014

Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls


It's HUMP DAY! That commercial drives me crazy yet it is oddly addictive at the same time. I'm weird like that.

I know most of you can agree that when it comes to dinner, the easier the better.  All I want to do at the end of the day is sit down and relax for a minute.  But dinner must be made first!  I had a huge craving for dinner rolls the other night.  Honey wheat rolls to be exact.  The problem was that I had already started dinner (chili) so I didn't have hours and hours to wait for bread to rise.

I couldn't believe it when I saw this recipe and realized that it only took less than an hour to make.  I HAD to try them. The result? One of the quickest, tastiest dinner rolls I've ever made.  I'm IN LOVE with this recipe!  I can't say enough nice things about it.  I've also had leftover rolls in a zip top bag in my refrigerator for several days and each time I want one I just grab it and put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and it's still delicious.  Why can't all yeast bread recipes be this easy?

Do yourself a favor and whip some homemade dinner rolls up tonight.  You will be so happy you did!




Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls
Recipe from Jamie Cooks it Up


Ingredients
  • 2 cups wheat flour
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup hot milk
  • 3/4 cup hot water
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 6 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 Tbsp yeast (I used active dry)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 170º
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer (using the dough hook) add 2 cups of wheat flour and 1 cup of white flour, 1/4 cup of honey and the heated milk (heat 3/4 cup of milk in the microwave for 1-2 minutes). Add the heated water (water should be hot but not burn your hand).  
  3. Add the salt and softened butter. Turn the mixer on low and blend for about 1 minute. 
  4. Add the yeast and mix for about 30 seconds. 
  5. While the mixer is on, add 1 more cup of white flour. 
  6. Let the mixer mix for about 1 minute, the dough should begin to pull away from the sides of the bowl.  If the dough remains sticky, you can add more flour (up to 1/2 cup).  Once the dough is the right consistency you can turn the mixer up to medium and mix for 5 minutes. 
  7. Coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch dish with some softened butter or cooking spray. 
  8. Dump the dough into the middle of the pan.  
  9. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 16 equal pieces. 
  10. Roll each piece into a ball and place in the pan. 
  11. Place the pan in the warm oven and let rise for about 15 minutes or until doubled in size. 
  12. Leave the pan in the oven and raise the temperature to 350º
  13. Bake until the rolls are golden brown on top, mine took about 25 minutes but Jamie's (from the link above) only took 13 minutes so check them often.  
  14. Remove from the oven and brush some butter over the tops.  Salted butter works best I think. 
  15. Allow to rest for 5 minutes in the pan and then enjoy!

No comments: