January 2, 2014

PW's Onion Strings


I can't believe it's taken me so long to post this recipe.  A funny thing happens every time I've made these onion strings.  They get eaten before I can snap a decent picture.  Honest.  OK I may have been the one to eat them all before it occurred to me to grab my camera.  I've had to make them three times before getting a picture.  Torture I tell ya, pure torture.

The first time I ever made them was last summer for a neighborhood barbecue, no picture taken. I made them again recently for my husbands birthday dinner and they disappeared in no time and no picture.  I made them again the very next night for another dinner and finally grabbed some pictures.  I had to show you a picture because my husband is a onion ring connoisseur and he's very particular about the kind of onion rings that he likes.  He likes the thin sort of onions with a light flaky layer of breading so they are nice and crunchy.  These babies totally fit the bill.  The seasoning is perfect, the onions are flavorful and the breading is thin yet crispy.

If you've got a few extra calories to use one of these nights I highly suggest you splurge on this recipe.  They are so darn good!


PW's Onion Strings
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 1 whole large onion (I used yellow)
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt (scant)
  • 1 quart (or 2 quarts) canola oil
  • pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Slice the onions very thin and place in a large bowl
  2. Pour the buttermilk over the top of the onion and stir around so it's fully covered. 
  3. Let soak in the buttermilk for at least an hour. 
  4. Combine the dry ingredients in another large bowl or a large zip lock bag. 
  5. Heat the oil to 375º
  6. Line a plate or bowl with paper towels (for the cooked onion strings)
  7. Dredge a handful of the sliced onions into the flour mixture and then plunge into the hot oil.  Fry for a couple minutes or until they are golden brown.  Remove to the prepared paper towel lined dish. 
  8. Repeat until they are all cooked, serve hot. 

No comments: